For San Francisco men and women who are ready to finally have a fully functional, aesthetically pleasing set of teeth, dental implants can be life-changing! This permanent tooth replacement system can give patients just that! But before you come in for your surgery day at SF Oral Surgery, be sure to take care of a few things first. We’ve put together a list of some important preparations you should make before you receive your dental implants.
1. Ask for Help from San Francisco Friends or Family
Before your dental implants procedure with one of our doctors at SF Oral Surgery, San Francisco patients should be sure to have help from friends and family lined up. First, you’ll need someone to drive you to and from our office. Because most patients receive IV anesthesia for their dental implants procedure, operating a vehicle post-surgery is not allowed. Have a friend or family member bring you to your appointment, wait in the waiting room while your procedure is being performed, and be ready to take you home when you’ve been given the thumbs up to leave.
Additionally, you may need a bit of help around the house for a day or two after you’ve had your dental implants placed. Not because you won’t be able to participate in your normal daily activities, but because you may just not feel up to cooking, cleaning, or caring for others.
2. Stock Up on the Right Foods
Speaking of cooking, you will need to make sure you have soft foods available at home prior to your dental implants procedure in our office. As your dental implants heal and fuse to your jawbone, you will be on a restricted diet for a few days. Some great foods to consider purchasing at your local San Francisco grocery prior to your procedure are:
- Cottage cheese
- Ice cream
- Macaroni and cheese
Avoid eating hard or crunchy foods like popcorn, chips, or candy for several days – or until our doctors clear you to resume your normal diet.
3. Follow the Pre-Op Instructions Provided by Our Doctors
In the days prior to your procedure, a member of our friendly team will call you to provide specific pre-surgery instructions. Be sure to follow these instructions to a “T” to ensure your safety during your procedure. These instructions will include requirements such as:
- Do not eat or drink anything for at least 6 hours before your appointment
- Bring a responsible adult who stays in the office during your surgery to drive you home
- Do not smoke at least 12 hours before surgery. The more time that elapses between smoking and your surgery the better.
- Do not drive or operate machinery for the first 24hrs after anesthesia
- Wear loose-fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow and shoes with little or no heel.
- Remove dentures, jewelry, and contact lenses before surgery begins
- Do not wear makeup including nail polish and lipstick the day of surgery
- Notify your office if you have a cold, sore throat, upset stomach, or any other illness.
- Check with Dr. Michael Chan, Dr. Kirsten Rittenbach, or Dr. Brian Yang about instructions for taking your normal oral medications on the day of the surgery.
Call Our Doctors at SF Oral Surgery Today
If you will be having your dental implants placed by one of our doctors in our San Francisco office, be sure to make the preparations we’ve recommended above. Trust us – your recovery will go much smoother if you do!
If you have any questions, or you’re wondering if you need to make additional preparations for your particular procedure, call our office at (415) 776-7610.