San Francisco Sedation Dentistry
We want you to feel completely comfortable.
Every part of your experience, from our cozy office interior to our highly-trained staff, we’ve done everything we can to make sure you feel totally at ease at SF Oral Surgery. But in regards to patient comfort, an important aspect to your total experience will be your choice for sedation.
SF Oral Surgery Excels at Sedation Dentistry
Our team has years of experience and our patients have benefited greatly from their skill in sedation dentistry. San Francisco patients often tell us how anxious they get when they have to go to the dentist.
Oral surgeons are unique among dental specialists with regard to their anesthesia training. Our doctors have extensive training and experience and certification in the administration of anesthesia and management of medical emergencies. The equipment that we use in our practice, for surgeries and recovery is similar to that which is used in hospitals.
Safety is our first priority in our practice.
- Our staff is highly trained and have completed training through CALAAOMS OMSA and
- All of our team is BLS certified
- We conduct regular Emergency Drills
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
There are a many benefits to our patients for choosing to do have their procedure done under some form of sedation.
- Relaxation – Many patients will put off a procedure due to fear or anxiety. With sedation, they can be assured that they will be as comfortable as possible.
- Fewer appointments – Under sedation, patients are often unaware of time and can tolerate longer more extensive procedures that might otherwise take several visits.
- Safer treatments – With the use of sedation, doctors are able to control patient movement and gag reflexes that allow them greater control over the procedure itself with a higher degree of precision and safety.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
San Francisco patients have a few different options when it comes to the level of sedation that they need or want for their procedure. We offer the absolute cutting-edge in sedation to provide you with as much comfort as possible.
- Local anesthesia – local anesthetic is used with almost every procedure in our office.
- Nitrous oxide – At the lowest level, nitrous oxide is a great option for many patients. Nitrous is delivered via inhalation through a mask placed over the patient’s nose. It provides a level of relaxation without impairing your ability to drive home.
- Intravenous – Using an IV, our surgeons can deliver a precise and customized amount of anesthesia depending on the patient’s comfort levels. This level can constantly be adjusted in real-time. Another benefit is that most of our patients will usually not remember details of the surgery when the anesthesia wears off.
We’ll discuss your sedation options with you, at the time of your consultation, before your procedure, so that you’ll have nothing to worry about when you arrive on the day of surgery.
For specific pre and post operative instructions, click here.